Welcome to the University of Cincinnati Emergency Medicine Residency Site!
The University of Cincinnati was the first emergency medicine residency established in 1970, and has remained at the cutting edge of
residency training. Our motto of “Opportunity, Leadership & Excellence” is promoted in all aspects of our training. The residency is a
1-4 year program with an emphasis on graded responsibility with progressive autonomy. Strengths of the program include:
- Well-respected Department of EM, first residency in EM – established in 1970.
- Diverse clinical experience in an urban, high volume, intense environment.
- Air care aeromedical – 2nd-4th year with resident/nurse flight team, 1500 flights/year.
- Integrated pediatric emergency shifts throughout residency at a top children’s hospital - “the best peds/EM combo this side of
the other side.”
- Commitment to research including resident research grant, infrastructure with dedicated statistician, research associates for
data collection and strong attending mentorship.
- Attending physicians with many areas of expertise who are interested in providing an optimum learning environment, and have an
incredible enthusiasm for teaching.
- Clearly defined, progressive responsibilities in R1-R4 program – each year with unique challenges and opportunities.
- Strong EMS curricula with ground, aeromedical, and telemetry training.
- Unequalled opportunities and tons of elective time: aeromedical, basic and clinical research, ultrasound, toxicology,
wilderness medicine, international EM, SWAT, USAR, DMAT, tactical medicine, observation unit, EM chapter opportunities, EMS
assistant directorship, and paramedic lecturing to mention a few.
- Amazing trauma and critical care experience, both in the ED and off-service!
- Emphasis on team atmosphere with strong ancillary services, social work & psychiatric services.
- Strong didactics include: M&M, evidence based lectures, core content, CPC, and case reviews. Frequent guest lecturers are
leaders in our field. Daily oral boards style “morning report.”
- Inspiring colleagues who work hard, play hard and encourage each other.
- Supportive environment and mentorship that allows you to be the best physician you can be.
We hope this web site gives you a taste of what the wide variety of opportunities offered to our emergency medicine residents.
Please feel free to contact us for further information.